Friday, February 27, 2009

William Thomas Carrell



In all of our research we have hit a dead end that we hope will open up soon. We do know that William was the first of the Carrell's to come to Utah .He was actually an early settler of several communities but caineville was the last one. He also donated the land for the Caineville Cemetery and was the first to be buried there.


We also have part of his Father-in-law George Peter Pectol's diary telling us a little about him.




I will now remark that William T. Carrell, a native of East Temisee (sic) laterly of Ilenoy (sic), born 18 Sept. 1819 in Knoxville, Tenn., a son of Thomas Carrell and Nephinia Hodges or Hudsen, and my oldest daughter, Dorothy, was married by a methodist preacher on the 15th day of January 1843.
When we left Madison Co., Mo., as I said, him and his family (sic) (himself, wife and one child, Sarah Jane) started along with us but had not yet been baptized into this Church, but as soon as we went on our journey being camped on the bank of the river on the night of the day of 1846, at the close of our evening prayer, he demanded baptism at my hand. I went down to the river with him and upon the profession of his faith an determinations, I baptized him and confirmed him and not long after this I ordained him an Elder in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. [Endowment record shows 15 Aug. 1847 which could have been a rebaptism]. He went on with us, stopped with us and we have lived and worked the most of the time together till I started to the Valleys of the mountains. We was blessed in our labours (sic) and increased in property. When I left Council Point, he did not think that he had a suficiant (sic) outfit to go along. He, therefore, resolved to stay on another year and he was greatly blessed in so doing.
MARCH 10, 18 . This morning I set down to write again concerning the movements of things in my observation. I have contracted my clame (?) to Wm. T. Carrell for the some of $50.00 to be discharged in the way of outfitting or cash...........He says he will not go until he can have a plenty....he wants to be able to make a living by his own hands and in a measure by independent, nor will he take any help from any one here to help him there to be repaid back......He will not depend on any one for a living. Now my feelings are different. I would like to have a full outfit and plenty to take along with me and help others out too, but I will be glad to go even if I was neceseated (sic) to receive help of those who are able and replace it as soon as I get able. I have confidence in the Saints......
William T. Carrell came to this valley (Sanpete) with a comfortable outfit and settled in Manti by my side 20 September 1851 and we went to work on the same principles that we did in the states, ie, in connection one with another, not in joint copartnership, but assisted one another in our labour (sic) and when either of us had need of assistance in means and the other could supply, it was done.
I will now state that my family has been rebaptized since we came to the Valley. September 15, 1851 Wm. T. Carrell and family arrived all here in this valley and city. No deaths since we left them in Pottawattami Co., Iowa, but one birth, George William Carrell born 15 March 1851 at Council Bluff.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

this looks like fun